Our History

In 2011, First United Methodist Church of Allen celebrated 130 years of  ministry to our members and to the community. The timeline below is brief history of the Methodist faith in the United States and our United Methodist Congregation in Allen, Texas.

1784—The Christmas Conference in Baltimore, MD, formally established the Methodist Episcopal Church (ME) in America. John Wesley, Methodism’s founding father, once stated that 12 people are required to organize a local church.

1844—Prior to the Civil War the Methodist Church in America split into two churches, South and North, and these did not formally rejoin again until 1939.

1881—Our Allen church’s founding members first began meeting as a church in their private homes until they could afford to build or own a church building, which was the custom in those early days.

Greenville Avenue Groundbreaking 1966

1884– Our first church building was recorded in Collin County records and was located north of Main Street behind the present Rodenbaugh store facing the railroad tracks.

1902– Our second church building was erected at the corner of S. Allen Drive and McDermott on the site now occupied by the Chamber of Commerce. In 1917, this building was destroyed by a storm.

1917-1919– A new church was built just across the street on property now occupied by the Allen Fire Department.

1965– The old wooden church building was torn down, leaving a brick building with a sanctuary that accommodated 50 people.

Sanctuary 1981

First UMC Allen Sanctuary 1981

1966– The present site (6.8 acres) at 601 South Greenville Avenue was chosen for an entirely new church, first occupied in 1967 and expanded in 1978, 1992, and 1997.

1968– The Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church joined to become the United Methodist Church that we know today.

2001– Good Seed Korean Fellowship Church formed and held worship services in our church, and we purchased the home on Greenville Avenue just north of the campus. This building was named the Wesley House and is now known as the Ministry Center.

FUMC Allen Sanctuary 1993

2011– Our church organized a new satellite campus in northwest Allen, now known as Living Life Church.

2017-FUMC Allen began their Embrace & Transform building campaign to update and renovate the Greenville Avenue facility.

Save

Save

Save